January 11, 2011

Stupid Cupid

I ran across this today: What your dating profile says about you.

This article was hilarious. I mean, I thought it would be helpful my selfish self. But it wasn't. There were a lot of theoretical math equations about the looks in relation to messages received on a dating website.

I hate math.

I hate math in relationships. Relationships are not an "x+y=z". NOT AT ALL. I assume others will wholeheartedly disagree with me.

But what struck me as strange was when a group of me have polarizing views of a woman, somehow she becomes more attractive.
The article poses this with the following example:

"Suppose you're a man who's really into someone. If you suspect other men are uninterested, it means less competition. You therefore have an added incentive to send a message. You might start thinking: maybe she's lonely. . . maybe she's just waiting to find a guy who appreciates her. . . at least I won't get lost in the crowd. . . maybe these small thoughts, plus the fact that you really think she's hot, prod you to action. You send her the perfectly crafted opening message."

To me this means it is better to be ugly, than cute, but not as good as being hot. Which, to me, seems a little, shall we say, fucked up.
And the fact that this site (one that I love) is really playing up the look card on this, rather than the content card. I mean even some guys don't want anything beyond a one night-er with a girl who is as dumb as a box of rocks.

But so runs the way of the world.

This is the best comment ever:

In order to verify how much credence women will give this information, OK Cupid needs to apply a formula in which the value of increased dudely attention (d) from men worth ogling (o) is decreased in value by the increased incidence of unwanted advice from dudes (u), cockshots (c), hellishly long cries for attention (h), or from those you consider to be too elderly to date (e).

That formula would be:

d = o - (uche)

This formula is surprisingly fast and easy to use! You see the e-mail, think to yourself, "This is a douche!"

1 comment:

Rossella said...

great post

let me know your thoughts on my new blog entry and follow me at:

My Couture Diaries
My Couture Diaries
My Couture Diaries